Last year, our club participated in the Photographic Society of America (PSA) Inter-Club competition for the first time. This year, in addition to competing in the Travel competition, we are also registered to compete in the Nature category, a favorite photographic subject of many of our members.
The PSA Inter-Club competitions pit us against other PSA member clubs and are open to all paid LVPC members. Lee Levin-Friend is serving as our PSA Club Rep & Competition Chairperson.
Our first round of Nature entries is due at the beginning of October and the Nature guidelines are a bit more restrictive than the Travel category. Please review the guidelines thoroughly before submitting entries and feel free to post any questions you may have here as comments on our site or by e-mailing Contest.LVPC@gmail.com.
LVPC Member Entry Due Dates
- Nature Round 1: Sunday, October 4, 2015
- Nature Round 2: Sunday, January 3, 2016
- Nature Round 3: Sunday, April 3, 2016
PSA Nature Definition
Nature photography is restricted to the use of the photographic process to depict all branches of nature history, except anthropology and archaeology, in such a fashion that a well-informed person will be able to identify the subject material and certify its honest presentation. The story telling value of a photograph must be weighted more than the pictorial quality while maintaining high technical quality. Human elements shall not be present, except where those human elements are integral parts of the nature story such as nature subjects, like barn owls or storks, adapted to an environment modified by humans or where those human elements are in situations depicting nature forces, like hurricanes or tidal waves. Scientific bands, scientific tags or radio collars on wild animals are permissible. Photographs of human created hybrid plants, cultivated plants, feral animals, domestic animals, or mounted specimens are ineligible, as is any form of manipulation that alters the truth of the photographic statement.
Nature Entry Highlights
- Submissions: Three images can be entered per round and should be e-mailed to Contest.LVPC@gmail.com by midnight on the Member Submissions Due date shown above
- Reprint permission: Entry assumes we have your permission to feature your photo with credit on our website, closed Facebook group, club e-mail messages or press releases. If you do not approve of one or more of these uses, please notify us at the time of your entry. Entry also assumes that PSA scores for your work can be shared with fellow club competitors and members
- Format & size: JPG only with Adobe RGB or sRGB color space. Maximum allowed dimensions are 1024 pixels wide x 768 pixels high. Images should not exceed 1.7 MB
- Camera type: Photos may be taken digitally, or on film and scanned
- Filenames: Should include your first and last name and title. Titles of photos that make it through LVPC judging will be read aloud during PSA judging, so make them descriptive and stay away from “cute” titles. “Micronesian Kingfisher” is better than “Orange and Blue Bird.”
- Allowable post processing: Enhancements and modifications that improve the presentation of the image, but don’t change the truth of the original natural story. Natural-looking HDR, focus stacking, dodging and burning, cropping.
- Unacceptable post processing: Removing pictorial elements other than by cropping, combining pictorial elements from separate images or rearranging elements.
Additional Nature Entry Information
- For full PSA Nature definition and submission details, read the 8-page PDF at http://www.psa-photo.org/useruploads/files/nature/2015-16_nature_digital_interclub_entry_rules.pdf
- For examples of past winning images, see: http://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?nature-interclub-images-of-the-year