2016-2017 PSA Travel Photography Competition Guidelines
Photographic Society of America (PSA) Inter-Club competitions pit us against other PSA member clubs and are open to all paid LVPC members. Lee Levin-Friend is serving as our PSA Club Rep & Competition Chairperson.
LVPC Member Entry Due Dates
- Travel Round 1: Midnight, Sun, November 6, 2016
- Travel Round 2: Midnight, Sunday, February 5, 2017
- Travel Round 3: Midnight, Sunday, May 7, 2017
PSA Travel Definition
A Photo Travel image expresses the characteristic features or culture of a land as they are found naturally. There are no geographical limitations. Images from events or activities arranged specifically for photography, or of subjects directed or hired for photography are not appropriate. Close up pictures of people or objects must include features that provide information about the environment. Techniques that add, relocate, replace or remove any element of the original image, except by cropping, are not permitted. The only allowable adjustments are removal of dust or digital noise, restoration of the appearance of the original scene, and complete conversion to greyscale monochrome. Other derivations, including infrared, are not permitted. All allowed adjustments must appear natural.
Travel Entry Highlights
- Submissions: Three travel images can be entered per round and should be e-mailed to Contest.LVPC@gmail.com by midnight on the Member Submissions Due date shown above. Please include “PSA Travel” or a similar wording in your subject line
- Reprint permission: Entry assumes we have your permission to feature your photo with credit on our website, closed Facebook group, club e-mail messages or press releases. If you do not approve of one or more of these uses, notify us at the time of your entry. It also assumes that PSA scores awarded to your work can be shared with fellow club competitors and members
- Format & size: JPG in sRGB color space. Maximum dimensions are 1024 pixels wide x 768 pixels high. Portrait-oriented images cannot exceed 768 pixels high. File size should be 1.5 MB or less
- Filenames: Should include your first and last name and unique descriptive title.
- Portraits: Images of people which do not include sufficient environment are liable to be disqualified as not meeting the concept of “place” with “distinguishable environment.”
- Post processing: Images which have been too “worked” or “processed” are liable to be disqualified or receive low scores as not “appearing natural”
- Age of photo: Photos can be of any age. They do NOT need to have been taken in the past year.
- Locations/Subjects: Don’t forget Pennsylvania’s special charms! “Travel” images need not be limited to far away or exotic locations; suitable local and regional attractions are welcome
- Examples of Prize Winning PSA Entries in Years Past
For links to top-scoring PSA Travel photos from previous years and other information, see: http://psa-photo.org/index.php?divisions-photo-travel-interclub-competition