As a member of the Photographic Society of America (PSA), Lehigh Valley Photography Club is eligible to compete in PSA’s national competitions against other clubs. We’ve chosen the Travel Division contest as our first PSA competition.
Our decision to enter was made shortly before the first entry deadline, so a small group of members responded to a special call for submissions to supply us with the our Round 1 entry in November. The results are in and out of 23 clubs entered in Group B, LVPC placed 11th with a score of 62. While it sounds like we are in the middle of the pack, the reality is that we are only a few points below the 2nd and 3rd place clubs, well within striking distance for the next round! The competition includes 2 more contests, and it is time to start preparing submissions for Round 2.
Here’s what you need to know to submit to PSA Travel Division Round 2
Who: Any 2015 paid member is eligible to submit 3 images for consideration. A total of 6 photographs will be entered on the club’s behalf, only one per photographer.
What: The PSA Travel Division guidelines specify that “A Photo Travel image must express the feeling of a time and place and portray a land, its distinctive features or culture in its natural state. There are no geographical limitations. Close up pictures of people or objects must include distinguishable environment. Techniques that add to, relocate, replace or remove any element of the original image, except by cropping, are not permitted. All adjustments must appear natural. Conversion to full monochrome is acceptable. Derivations, including infrared, are unacceptable.”
- Portraits of people which do not include sufficient environment are liable to be disqualified as not meeting the concept of “place” with “distinguishable environment.”
- Images which have been too “worked” or “processed” and no longer look like photographs are liable to be disqualified as not “appearing natural.”
- Photos can be of any age. (They do NOT need to have been taken in the past year, for example.)
- “Travel” images need not be limited to far away or exotic locations; suitable local and regional attractions are acceptable subjects.
When: Entries must be sent to Contest.LVPC@gmail.com by midnight at the end of Sunday, January 25, 2015. Include titles for each image in your submission.
How: Image specs are as follows:
- JPEG format
- Maximum size of 1.5 megabytes
- Maximum width of 1024 pixels and a maximum height of 768 pixels
- Portrait-shaped images must not be taller than 768 pixels.
- sRGB color space
Previous winning photos can be viewed at: http://psa-photo.org/index.php?divisions-photo-travel-interclub-competition. (Under the burgundy “PTD Interclub Competition” header, look for PHOTO TRAVEL INTERCLUB RESULTS by year and Round 1 Gallery, Round 2 Gallery, etc.)
Questions?: If you need any help with the image guidelines or theme, or have other questions, send them to Contest.LVPC@gmail.com.
Want to help?: If you are interested in volunteering as a juror for Round 2 or future contests, please let us know by e-mailing Contest.LVPC@gmail.com.
Congratulations to Jeffry Grim on his 2nd place finish in Round 1 for his image titled
“Night Vision in Valencia.”