Conowingo Dam in Maryland holds anywhere from ten to hundreds of Bald Eagles as well as assorted cormorants, anhingas and gulls. Some birds may be directly overhead in trees (often feeding on fish they have caught) while others will be at a significant distance away.
Leader: Buddy Eleazer (Contact Buddy at email@example.com with any questions regarding the trip.)
November 30, 2015 – December 1, 2015 PLEASE NOTE, THIS DATE CHANGE WAS NEEDED AS NOV. 30 WAS IN CONFLICT WITH THE PICK UP DATE FOR GALLERY IMAGES AT THE BETHLEHEM ROTUNDA.
Meet-up Time: 7 a.m., yes, that’s early, but we’ve gotten our best shots by being there early in past years. (expected return before 4 p.m.)
Meet up location: Tilghman Square parking lot, close to Red Robin
4688A Broadway, Allentown, PA (map)
Educational Opportunity: This is a ‘meet up and shoot’ opportunity, not a workshop. Experienced photographers will attend and will provide tips on camera settings and shooting technique, but no formal presentation will take place.
Transportation: Car pool, please contact Buddy if you are willing to drive.
Difficulty: Easy – Medium. Weather might be wintery. It is an ‘all day’ trip. Walking is minimal.
Transportation: Car pool
What to bring:
- Dress in layers. We will be outdoors by water.
- Bring your camera and a telephoto lens. Examples of lens recommended for success: For Nikon shooters, the 80-400mm lens on a crop sensor such as the D3200, D5200 works well. For Canon users, the 100-400 on the 70D or 7D work well. Of course a larger lens is also useful. For Olympus shooters, the OM-D series with the E-75-300mm lens is an excellent option. If you are bringing a large lens, consider bringing a tripod also.
- It’s recommended to bring cash to:
a) Share the cost of the ride with the driver – it’s recommended to donate $15 to $20 to volunteer drivers to defray gas cost and vehicle wear and tear.
b) Food. We typically stop for coffee and donut/bagel on the drive down and for a casual lunch on the return. Lunch should cost less than $10 per person
- Consider bringing bottle water, thermos of beverage and/or snacks as we will be at the dam for 3 to 6 hours depending on bird activity, weather and the wishes of the participants.
- Exelon, the operator of the dam provides numerous portable toilets (Port-a-pottie) at the site.
- If weather is bad, we will notify everyone via the LVPhotographyClub.org web site as well as Club FaceBook page. An alternate date will be set at that time.